Sunday, January 10, 2010


I know I haven't written anything on here for ages but I have been pretty busy. Recently there has been the cutest group of Nepali boys who have been entertaining me with Bollywood movies, pool and their early 90s cover band.

But before then there has been a lot of stress. I have been trying to get straight answers about the children's school fees and attendance. I found out one of the children went to school for the first time last year... he is 8. This means he is now in a grade with 3 and 4 year olds.

The children attend a free government school right now. This means they can write their names and the older ones can read, a little bit. The school is practically a day care center for poor kids. I don't think much education happens there. It breaks my heart because for some of the older ones this means no real job prospects and one of them wants to be a doctor.

In Nepal nothing is easy. In Australia I would just turn up at the school and ask “how much is it to send a student to your school?”. In Nepal you have to ask a guy who knows a guy to send a guy to go and ask “If maybe there was a child, and maybe they needed to go to a school, how much could there school cost?” And the answer goes something like “If there was a child it may cost about $AUS300... maybe.”

So after three weeks of asking I finally have a fee schedule but I have yet to visit the school. I am still working on how I am going to raise the money I need to send 12 children to private school but it is my new mission. It will cost $AUS4500 for all of them for a year. So if anyone is interested in donating towards the education of 12 needy children let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Count me in... and i know many of your uncles and aunties and cousins want to help...

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what an amazing job you are doing! good on you, your should be so proud of yourself! yes count me in for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. doing something so important should be much easier - please let me know how i can help - best of luck and take care

    ReplyDelete