Friday, January 22, 2010

All alone in Nepal...

A couple of weeks ago I decided to extend my trip for a extra four weeks. I still had some projects I wanted to finish. Here I am, all by myself. I thought it would be scary but I have settled in pretty well. I definitely get yelled at in the street more since dad left, and I am sleeping a lot more soundly. I do miss the support and the English conversation!

The children were very sad to see dad leave. Every day they ask me "how long until father returns?". I have to tell them it may be a very long time.

I have been working on gather information for a web page on the home. It is really hard. Trying to discuss business with Nepali men has been a steep learning curve. They never turn up on time, they never give you a straight answer, they exaggerate and they are always looking for a chance to make a few rupee.

I have also made a new Nepali friend. It has been interesting to learn about the huge cultural barriers against Nepali men and foreign women being friends. I am hearing lots of stories about young Nepali's struggling to make money, to start families and to get out of Nepal. It breaks my heart and I wish I could do more to help.

Anyway that is all the news for today. Photos soon I promise.

1 comment:

  1. oh.... well now I am getting used to the night noises... cant exactly call it snoring any more!!!! i am very proud of you and I am sure you will make a difference to some of the lives of the people you have encountered...

    ReplyDelete