Wednesday, January 20, 2010

DEVI FALLS



The kids were at school in the morning so I decided I would do something touristy. In the morning I hired a car with the three Aussie tourists that were staying at the motel. We went out to the monastery as I wanted to see Lama Kunga. They had a look around and then we went to the Tibetan village. I am getting good at bargaining so the other three bought things with my help. From there we went to the Bat Caves (again) and they went in. They all climbed out the hole and had a good time. After that shopping at the markets at Mahendrapul. The CD/DVD shop to be precise. I bought one or two but one of them bought 22 and another more than 30 DVDs. They were really cheap.

After that we went back to the motel and changed to a bigger van. We picked up Amanda, the two Israeli girls, and the couple we had met at Chitwan. We went to Devi Falls. I thought this had something to do with the devil.....but no it is a big hole in the ground where the water drops 100 metres into an underground river. In 1965 a Swiss tourist was bathing above the falls when a sudden gush of water washed her to her death.The falls are named after her, Mrs Devi.

From the falls we went to another Tibetan village. This one makes carpets. We watched the women making them on their looms......and some of us even had a turn. Then we had a look at the display room. Beautiful, and very cheap.




On the way back we were diverted a little by Maoist demonstrations in the streets. They have been demonstrating and holding rally meetings all day. We also stopped at a sweet shop. Tibetan sweet cakes.... a mistake..... I tried too many.


No comments:

Post a Comment