Thursday, December 31, 2009

HOW DID YOU SPEND THE AFTERNOON?


Today started differently as its a special day. The big horns were played from the monastery roof for about 40 minutes before daylight – actually it was very moving. Then the punja lasted for two hours, with breakfast being served in the middle.

The afternoon I spent in the clinic rubbing pink anti-scabies linament into the hair of young monks. Then with pink hands I went to the prayer room and watched monks reciting poems, then making speeches on philosophy (some in English and some in Nepali), and then a debate. The debate was nothing like an English debate, and I didn't understand a word they said.....but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The whole session lasted about two and a half hours.

After that I watched two fellows decorating the monastery roof with fairy lights for the New Year. The two wires on the end of the lights were stripped back and inserted directly into the power point........ no plug!! Then I watched the cook making noodles from scratch before I left to make some flash cards on a story about a wizard and a wood-cutter, ready for the Lama's English lesson after tea. So how did you spend your afternoon?

1 comment: