Sunday, December 6, 2009

cremation


Today we went to a cremation. I am not sure what to say about it yet. At first I didn't feel anything. I couldn't really understand that there was a real person under all that wood and fire. Then someone's daughter started screaming “Mum, why did you leave me?”
In Australia we don't show our grief. This family wailed and cried. The woman who died was loved. I think seeing so much emotion was a little confronting for me.
I took some photos from far away. I tried to show respect, but it is hard to know the correct way to act.
I did not photograph the cremations close up but some tourists were moving mourners out of the way to get better photos of the dead.
Some tourist showed no shame in standing close enough to touch and photographing the dead's face and grieving family.
Some tourists are jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment